In the Bookcase

12/31/2011

Looking at my reads from 2011.

At the end of each year, I always enjoy taking a little time to look through all the book titles that I have read during the last 12 months. I usually come across a lot of "I read that book only just this past year?"---especially ones that I loved so much, and it seems like its been ages since I did read it---but it was only a few months ago. This year I accomplished reading 50 books, which almost means one book every week. I enjoyed each of these, but I do have my tip-top favorites. So now...




(in no particular order, because I can't bring myself to use favoritism on my favorites)


A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
I'm so glad to have read a classic like this---it is currently my favorite of Dickens' works that I've read so far. If I was to choose a character from any book that I admire most, it would be Sydney Carton. {You can read my full review here.}

Little House in the Highlands by Melissa Wiley
The first in a series of 4 about Martha, the great-grandmother of Laura Ingalls Wilder. She roamed and romped across the wild, heather-filled highlands of Scotland!

A Peep Behind the Scenes by O.F. Walton
Sweet and charming. Just how I thought a Lamplighter book would be. Now I can't wait to read more of these books in this new year.

My Heart's in the Lowlands by Liz Curtis Higgs
Has anyone heard of "arm-chair travel"? The author literally takes you on a trip across the sea to Scotland and "shows" you the landmarks, the quaint shops, houses, kirks, and majestic castles. She talks to you, as the reader, as if you were standing beside her, taking in the same sights, smells, feelings, and noises that she is.

In Freedom's Cause by G.A. Henty
To introduce myself to Henty, this was a great book to do it with. It is the story of William Wallace & Robert the Bruce, two exceptional leaders in the First War of Scottish Independence.

Do Hard Things by Alex & Brett Harris
A perfect book that every teen should read! It holds many invaluable truths. The subtitle of the book says it all: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations.

Basil of Baker Street by Eve Titus
This is one children's book that I will adore forever, now that I have found it. I do so need to read more of little Basil's adventures. {You can read my full review here.}

Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorensen
Exquisitely delightful! Reminiscent of Laura Ingalls' childhood stories, but set in the time right after WWII ended. I can see myself reading it again sometime!

The Coral Island by R.M. Ballantyne
Heart-pounding suspense with island cannibals and pirate ships. Utter delight and respect for everything God has created. I'm looking forward to more books from Ballantyne.

Christmas with Tucker by Greg Kincaid
This was the perfect addition to my December days. Meshes beautifully with the book "A Dog Named Christmas" by the same author.



Here are some other bloggers who have written end-of-the-year bookish posts:

Jennifer {Blogful of Books}

Eyebright {Defective Compositions}

Katie {Whisperings of the Pen}

Rachel {Young Homemakers}



4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Coral Island. It's sitting on my window sill right now. Should read it again! Right now I'm in the middle of reading Pride and Prejudice. I've watched the movie before, so it's been run to read it and picture what's happening in my head. Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Squeal* look at all the marvelous books you've read this year!! :D Exciting! I've read some of those myself (the little house ones. and Basil of Baker street is such a lovely little story!). I love the Ballentyne books but I haven't read Coral Island yet - perhaps 2012? It was so fun to see your favorites from this year! :) I always enjoy reading about your bookish finds! :)

    Happy New Year!
    May the Lord bless you!
    ~Rachel~

    p.s. - thank you for adding my link! :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, several good books on that list! Well, they're all good, it's just there's several that I recognize. G.A. Henty is wonderful, as is Do Hard Things, and Lamplighter books. Actually, I think those are the only three I have read, but I've heard of most of the others!

    These Top Ten collections are fun to read and get ideas from, are they not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1/25/2012

    Tale of Two Cities is such a wonderful book. I need to re-read that one of these days... Thanks for sharing your 2011 reads! Happy 2012 reading! ^.^

    ReplyDelete