In the Bookcase

8/25/2015

Book Review: Laddie, A True Blue Story

Laddie: A True Blue Story by Gene Stratton-Porter (5 star review)

Laddie: A True Blue Story

written by Gene Stratton-Porter

401 pages // published in 1913 // fiction // literary classic




My Review...

5 Star Rating


A goodie from 1913. A story that Little Sister tells about her large-sized family, but most specifically, about her older brother whom she simply adores, Laddie.

It is a rather "pretty" type of story from the late 1800s in Indiana. Written in descriptive prose, similar in style to perhaps L.M. Montgomery or Louisa May Alcott (a favorite type of writing style for me!). It contains many great lessons pertaining to a loving family and an Almighty God. I enjoyed how much of the family's Christian faith was infused into the entire book.

The descriptions and textual imagery are perfect, providing an authentic "country" kind of feel the story, and often describing gorgeous nature scenes so perfectly, I can see it before my eyes. Quality values and old-fashioned traditions seep through the pages. Whatever the predicament or joyous occasion taking place, you're always rooting for Little Sister and for Laddie.

Laddie stooped down to kiss me good-bye and he said: "Don't cry, Little Sister. The way to be happy is to be good." (CHAPTER XVII, Laddie)

This is the epitome of wholesome literature.

If you like reading ebooks, grab a free copy of Laddie from Amazon or Project Gutenberg!


Reading to Know - Book Club
Stop by Carrie's blog to join monthly!




P.S. Like and vote for this review on Goodreads and Amazon.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading Laddie too. I hadn't heard of it before this year, but I'm surprised. It was good to me even as an adult reader--I know my girls would have loved it too if we had discovered it when they were younger. :)

    ReplyDelete