In the Bookcase

11/29/2015

Book Review: Advent in Narnia

Advent in Narnia by Heidi Haverkamp (5 star review)



Advent in Narnia
Reflections for the Season


written by Heidi Haverkamp

96 pages // published in 2015 // Christian non-fiction // Christmas




My Review...

5 Star Rating


"Advent in Narnia" is the perfect book for casual and fanatic Narnians alike. You're sure to discover new meaning in the story of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe.

Included are 28 short chapters to be enjoyed daily during the Advent season. The chapters encourage you to read it along with the The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe book itself, so that you can refresh your memory on everything that the devotion covers in the original story.

I found the daily readings to be short, sweet and offer a new thought about C.S. Lewis's writings, or other holiday-themed meanings behind the religious symbols in the original story. I do believe it opened my eyes more to some of the hidden definitions of the characters and obscure elements. Although I have personally read several of the Narnia books, I haven't yet researched into Lewis's writings further. Heidi Haverkamp's book helped introduce me to some things I hadn't figured out yet myself, and still put a Christmas twist on it.


"It's easy to be cynical about the holidays, but if we can allow ourselves to feel some deep delight or let our imaginations run wild in the wonder of even the silliness of the season, we might be surprised into seeing both ourselves and God's world differently." (Heidi Haverkamp)


The author even includes additional material for a group study -- helpful to have if your church would be interested in reading this Advent study together, or if you just want to enjoy it with your family members or friends.

{Plus, if I hadn't read this book, I wouldn't know about ALL the movie versions of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe that I could watch!}

Thanks to the author and Netgalley for the free review copy & for the opportunity to express my honest opinions.

Advent in Narnia has just been released this holiday season! [Buy your copy from Amazon.]





P.S. Like and vote for this review on Goodreads and Amazon.


0 written notes {Post a Comment}:

Post a Comment