In the Bookcase

4/01/2011

Sharing Our Bookshelves {April 2011}

Welcome to the monthly round of "Sharing Our Bookshelves." The purpose of this blogging event is to discover what currently resides on other people's "bookshelves"... for example, feel free to tell about what great books you've been reading lately (book reviews, if you want), or the progress you've been making in your writing, or whatever else is book-related for you. Feel free to link up any of your recent blog posts all through the month, and you can also "browse" around and see what everyone else has linked up too.

So, what have you been reading?
Lately I've been enjoying "A Tale of Two Cities". It is absolutely wonderful. Dickens makes me laugh sometimes. Although his writing is quite serious, abrupt & silly scenarios appear once in a while, which just make me laugh inside. Take, for example, the following snippet from Chapter 7:

"His morning's chocolate could not so much as get into the throat of Monseigneur, without the aid of four strong men besides the Cook.
Yes. It took four men, all four ablaze with gorgeous decoration, and the Chief of them unable to exist with fewer than two gold watches in his pocket, emulative of the noble and chaste fashion set by Monseigneur, to conduct the happy chocolate to Monseigneur's lips. One lacquey carried the chocolate-pot into the sacred presence; a second, milled and frothed the chocolate with the little instrument he bore for that function; a third, presented the favoured napkin; a fourth (he of the two gold watches), poured the chocolate out. It was impossible for Monseigneur to dispense with one of these attendants on the chocolate and hold his high place under the admiring Heavens. Deep would have been the blot upon his escutcheon if his chocolate had been ignobly waited on by only three men;
he must have died of two."

.:. A Tale of Two Cities .:.


I'm still trying to figure out why that paragraph is in the book... but, no matter. It makes me laugh each time I re-read it. {Obviously, the previous sentence confesses that I have indeed read it multiple times.}

So then! I'm looking forward to seeing what you all link up in your posts on the list below. A link back to my blog (from your post) is always appreciated. Buttons are also available for the taking.



Click here to get the code for one of the buttons.



...{Final instructions are below}...
I cannot wait to see what is on your bookshelf!






12 comments:

  1. Oh no! I just posted about a book on my blog yesterday. I should have saved it until today. ;) Oh, well, I'm sure I'll post something bookish this month! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to link up this month with an Anne of Green Gables series post. I'm excited to write it and to read other peoples posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the sweet review! I got the rating system from PollDaddy.com. It's kind of cool. ;) Yes, That Printer of Udell's is a Lamplighter book, although my copy was a free e-book. Yes, very good book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe... yes, Dickens can make you laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read "A Tale of Two Cities" a few months ago and I love it! Its hands down my favorite Dickens book.:)
    Abigail @ Amazed By Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    I'm a new follower and would love for you to come visit my library sometime at http://www.ejlibrary.blogspot.com Although there is currently a movie review up, I usually have a book review handy {at the moment however, I'm trying to finish the book so I can write a review about it ;)}. I like your blog and am looking forward to visiting it often. :)

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw a wonderful play of Tale of Two Cities. It was very well done and they managed to give the entire story in a cohesive manner in 2.5 hours! I adore that book. Your post makes me really want to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read A Tale of Two Cities a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I don't remember that part, though! It is funny!

    Thanks for your comments on my blog. I actually don't know of any other Titanic-related books. I'd be happy for some suggestions, though! It is an interesting topic I'd like to read more about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You asked about 'Unsinkable' on my blog. No, it isn't about the Titanic, But here is the link to my review: http://theepicreader.blogspot.com/2011/04/unsinkable.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH! Don't you just LOVE Dickens?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to read Dicken's, so this will probably be the next one that I will read.

    ReplyDelete