In the Bookcase

7/01/2011

Sharing Our Bookshelves {July 2011}

What's on your bookshelf right now?

Since June's "Sharing Our Bookshelves" post, I've read quite a bit myself.
To share what has recently passed through my own bookshelf:

Captain Blood The thrilling adventures of "Captain Blood" by Rafael Sabitini (1922). A simple doctor living in an Irish village is falsely accused of treason. As punishment, he is sent to a Barbados plantation as a slave. Thereafter, he makes his way into a pirate... yes, it all makes for a very exciting novel.
Captain BloodI visited 221B Baker Street, London, this past month. Twice, actually. This was while reading "Adventure of the Copper Beeches" and also "Silver Blaze"--both excellent Sherlock Holmes stories.
Captain BloodA trip to the library allowed me pick up a couple other books I've been wanting to read. "I am Lavina Cumming" by Susan Lowell was one. In short, it's about a young girl from a family of Scottish heritage, living in the Arizona desert, who can speak both English & Spanish. After moving to California, she experiences the 1906 San Fransisco earthquake.
Captain Blood"Rider in the Dark" by Victoria Holmes is a wonderful, suspenseful book (all about horses!) set in the 1700's of England. Complete book review will be coming soon on this one!


So, what is on your Summer Reading List? Are you tackling some thicker books during this school break?

If you have any new or recent book-related blog posts during the whole month of July, you are welcome to come link up below. Book reviews, summer reading plans, lists, pictures... you name it! Feel free to share anything about books on your blog, and link up here so others can read your posts.




5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I don't have any planned at the moment, so I'll have to get busy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! My name is Hannah. I'm 15, and I LOVE to read! I mean it. :) If you'd like to go to my blog (it's on my title above my comment), check out the Booklist page! It'll tell you all the books I have, not have read. I've read alot more than I own!! Have you heard of Beverly Lewis or Wanda Brunstetter? I LOVE them! I LOVE Amish novels and historical fiction! I looked at your profile, and I was surprised to see that you love Elsie books, too!! They're one of my absolute favorites!! I have 26 out of the original 28, and I hve the complete original Mildred Keith series. I also have two A Life of Faith books: "Elsie's Tender Mercies" and "Violet's Hidden Doubts."

    The library's such a wonderful place, isn't it? :) That's where I get Amish novels and historical novels. Well, better go now! I'll be checking back to see if you answered! Bye!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/05/2011

    I just finished Captain Blood this morning! It was very well written and I watched the movie starring Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland yesterday... let's see I just finished the Wolves of Willoughby Chase and the sequel to it... Black Hearts in Battersea. I also found a new author I really like, L.M. Elliott. She wrote Annie, Between States (civil war) and Under a War-torn Sky (WWII) Annie, Between States is the only American Civil War fiction book I've read that shows that the Civil War didn't start over slavery.
    I'm currently reading Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle and A Man for All Seasons by Robert Bolt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7/05/2011

    Thank you for hosting this again, Tarissa! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the sweet, encouraging comment that you left on my blog, Tarissa. I really appreciate it. =)

    ReplyDelete