In the Bookcase

11/18/2017

A Literary Christmas 2017 begins + Link up your Christmas books!

A Literary Christmas: 2017 Reading Challenge // inthebookcase.blogspot.com

Dear Readers,

I'd like to invite you to a SPECIAL READING EVENT this holiday season, where together we will celebrate all the excitement of Christmas book-reading during the most wonderful time of the year!

What's this holiday reading challenge about? ::: Whether you just want to read 1 amazingly-good Christmas book, or 10, you make your own list of titles to read, and finish as many of them as you can.

Where will it take place? ::: In your favorite cozy reading nook. Whether it be while wrapped in fleece blankets in bed... sitting by the fireside drinking hot chocolate...

Polar bear reading Christmas books


Or out on the ice sheets of the Arctic environment, with only starlight from the heavens and a tin lantern to illuminate the tiny text inside your vintage copy of A Christmas Carol.

But probably not the latter option.


This Christmas reading challenge is born of my own delight in filling the entirety of the month of December (and the latter of November, in most cases) with holiday-themed books galore. Literally, I keep adding to an ongoing booklist all through the year when I happen across Christmas titles that I may like to try my hand (errrr --- eyes?) at, just so I can read it when the holidays arrive.

Please tell me I'm not alone?

The challenge starts on November 18th. Sign-ups are open NOW! Just so whenever you're ready to pick up a festive holiday title, the event link-up will be open.

How to participate in A Literary Christmas:



  • Think about some Christmas books to read, or maybe re-read this season. This could include fictional stories (modern or vintage books), or non-fiction (an Advent devotional, or a book on Christmas traditions?)... it's up to you! Your goals can be 1 book, 5 books, or some short stories. AUDIO BOOKS & E-BOOKS ARE WELCOME!





  • Write a blog post or social media post to tell us that you're joining A Literary Christmas reading challenge, and maybe give us a sneak peek of the books you want to read for this challenge. Make sure to link to this blog (or even this individual post) to spread the word among your friends. Grab one of the challenge images to use in your post.

    A Literary Christmas: 2017 Reading Challenge // inthebookcase.blogspot.com


    A Literary Christmas: 2017 Reading Challenge // inthebookcase.blogspot.com





  • Link up below! Copy the link to your post online and add it to the linky below. Now you've joined the challenge!





  • Next step: Start reading the books on your list! When you talk about the books on your blog or review them (on Goodreads, your blog, etc.), be sure to link up your posts below so that we can all check out what everyone is reading. (I know that I hope to find some good book recommendations from you all!)

    A Literary Christmas officially begins on November 18th and ends on December 31st, 2017. (You may begin reading your Christmas books whenever it suits you though.) *wink*






  • Stay tuned!


    Once the challenge begins I think we can all gather some fresh holiday titles from each other. In the meantime, if you're looking for what books you should be reading this holiday season, check out some of the Christmas books I've shared about in the past, or visit online lists such as:

    Favorite Christmas Books

    Christian Christmas Books

    Christmas/Holiday Christian Fiction


    Link to your sign-up posts & reviews!



    * If the linky isn't showing up for you, try refreshing your page. Or just leave your post links in the comments section, and I can add your post to the linky for you, if needed.


    30 comments:

    1. How exciting! This looks like a great challenge =D Thinking about a possible book list now and how to find a cozy quiet nook...:)

      ReplyDelete
    2. I loved this so very much last year! Totally doing it again :-) Thanks for hosting!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Here's my first book for this year's Christmas. http://readanotherpage.com/2017/11/book-1-the-greatest-gift.html

      ReplyDelete
    4. This is Day 2. http://readanotherpage.com/2017/11/book-2-wind-chimes.html

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Rebekah, I'm so excited that your reviews are coming in! Thanks for sharing.

        Delete
    5. I just left my link for my blog since I'm posting so many different times. :) But if you want me to do each one separately, I certainly don't mind. This new linky works great!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ah. You just do whatever you like about the links, Rebekah! I am happy if you'd like to add each post, or not. :)

        Delete
    6. Here's my sign-up post! Thanks for hosting this. :) https://classicsandcraziness.wordpress.com/2017/11/28/a-literary-christmas-challenge-2017/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm glad to have you on board, Eva! I'm off to go check out your blog. :)

        Delete
    7. I can't wait to see everyone's lists!

      ReplyDelete
    8. OK I am reading so many books during this reading challenge but they don't particularly relate to my blog, so I can't blog about them! :( I have however mentioned your challenge on my blog post A Literary Christmas with Little Women (which goes into things other than reading Little Women related books so I wasn't sure whether it would apply for this challenge!) https://marchandlaurencelittlewomen.wordpress.com/2017/12/04/a-literary-christmas-with-little-women/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Trix! Remember that Goodreads, Facebook, or other online posts count towards the challenge too. Anywhere that you share about Christmas books is fine.

        Delete
    9. I'm sharing another one of my books today. :) Just thought you might like to know.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Hi Tarissa,
      Just finished my first Christmas book and linked up, thanks for the opportunity to join the challenge :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Wooohooo! So glad you could join the challenge. :)

        Delete
    11. Thanks for hosting. I love Christmas books.

      ReplyDelete
    12. Ditto...thanks for hosting. I just linked my post.

      ReplyDelete
    13. What?? I love this! I've read two Christmas themed books this year so far, and I hope to squeeze in some more by the end of the year. I'll have to review those and get them linked up!!

      -Lauren
      www.shootingstarsmag.net

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Lauren, we'd love to have you join. The more the merrier, and I can't wait to find out what you've been reading this holiday season.

        Delete
    14. Finished my two reads: The Chimes by Charles Dickens and The Night Before Christmas by Nikolai Gogol. http://100greatestnovelsofalltimequest.blogspot.com/2017/12/christmas-tales-2017.html

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Wooooohoooooo! Good on you, Joseph!

        Delete
    15. Today's book is free today only. :)

      ReplyDelete
    16. Posted my reviews of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! and A War of Gifts.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's awesome, Eva! I hope you've been having as much fun with your Christmas reading as I have been. :)

        Delete
      2. It's been great, this challenge. :) I added links to my reviews for The Gift of the Magi, Dear Enemy, and A Christmas Carol. I was planning to read Christmas in the Crosshairs as well, but it was frightfully dull so I didn't finish it. However, I did read How the Grinch Stole Christmas! so I still read five books for the challenge. :) Thanks for hosting it!

        Delete
      3. Eva, thanks for linking up all of your reviews! I'll be checking them all out to see which ones you recommend.

        Delete
    17. I decided to add one more Christmas Tale to my reading: Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare. Doesn't seem like a Christmas story? Really it isn't, but the Bard wrote it as part of a Twelfth Night Celebration to end the Christmas season. It's the same URL already linked above. Hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Joseph, thanks for letting me know about the new review. Will have to stop by and read your thoughts on it.

        Delete
    18. Thanks for hosting. I finished 5 Christmas reads.

      ReplyDelete