In the Bookcase

8/22/2012

Book Review: Titanic: Legacy of Betrayal

Titanic: Legacy of Betrayal

Titanic: Legacy of Betrayal

written by Kathleen Kovach & Paula Moldenhauer

260 pages
published in 2012


In April 2012, Ember Keaton-Jones's life is interrupted by the 100th anniversary of the Titanic's sinking. She is a real estate agent in Portland, with the climax of success just on the horizon. Suddenly, a family mystery concerning the Titanic breezes in. She has the choice to leave her sublime life behind to take an offhand chance at the fortune that the secret from the Titanic might be able to give her, or simply discard and ignore this untrodden revelation which is a century old. {I was immediately engaged in the basic plot of this book, if you can imagine.}

In addition to the modern events taking place in Ember's life, the story is also revealed from the point of view of Olive Stanford, a (fictional) First Class passenger aboard the Titanic. She took a riveting secret with her to the grave, which affected not just her own self, but also a family she didn't even know. Olive did leave one pathway open for someone to find out her personal story---specifically about the impulsive decision that she made in the middle of the ocean. A decision that would ultimately define at least 100 years of discord.

We both knew I would get what I wanted, no matter how unconventional. An incredulous flicker passed through Mr. Williams’s controlled features. The slightest rise of my left eyebrow squelched his resistance. With a deposit of cash, a signature, and a shake of the lawyer’s hand, the deed was done.

I left his office leaning hard upon my favorite cane, the one topped with the silver bird whose wings stretch forth.

I, too, make ready for flight.
Titanic: Legacy of Betrayal
The writing style intrigues me. Every word, whether of dialogue or describing a scene, means something. The history embedded into the story is wholly accurate and well-researched. I don't think there is any plot spoiler here, in saying that the Titanic's story is told in full detail---and I felt that I should mention that the part chronicling the actual sinking is written considerably well. It turned out to be my favorite part of the book, even if I've read about that one pivotal moment from so many other tellings.

"Titanic: Legacy of Betrayal" is written and recommended for adults. There is a bit of romance intertwined into the plot. One thing I don't care for is the strain that is vividly shown between Ember's character and her mother's. Aside from than that, I found the book to be quite agreeable.

The book is written by 2 authors living in Colorado: Kathleen Kovach and Paula Moldenhauer. Both are Christian women, and Mrs. Moldenhauer is a homeschool mom, which I found rather interesting. Together, in addition to writing this book, they also maintain a website, where I have enjoyed reading all the Titanic tidbits and such! www.titaniclegacyofbetrayal.com

If I may say just one more thing about the book in its entirety, it is that looking in retrospect, I found the plot to be altogether set up in twists, so that I never even anticipated the culminating conclusion until it played out in the final chapters. Overall, a positively appealing read! Especially recommended for Titanic enthusiasts.

We entered the Titanic by the Grand Staircase. The large glass domes built over it allowed a bath of natural light. The glow of sunshine danced upon the gilt bronze garlands and illuminated the intricate carvings in the polished oak. I brushed a hand across the leg of a cherub on the middle railing. The stairs were aptly named. Grand indeed.
Titanic: Legacy of Betrayal

Paperback or e-book?
The paperback version of this book is available from both Amazon and CreateSpace. Or you can get it in electronic format for B&N Nook or Amazon Kindle.




5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this review, Tarissa! Paula and I enjoyed writing the book and now we're enjoying the fruit of our labors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/22/2012

    i'm not what you would call a titanic enthusiast but it does sound intriging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look interesting! I've read the book "The Discovery of the Titanic" by Robert Ballard several times. It's very interesting! The Titanic was a tremendous point in Western history--the last public stand of manhood, in some ways. Remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Paula's husband acting as her scribe as she recovers from a car accident. I read this review to her and she was excited to see how well you captured the heart of this story. She asked me to express her gratitude to you for reading and reviewing the novel. She also wishes you the very best and applauds YOUR writing ability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this on my Kindle and now I'm super-looking-forward to it! Thanks for the great review, Tarissa! :)

    ReplyDelete