In the Bookcase

12/25/2018

2019 Reading Challenges

Hang tight! Here's a list of reading challenges I'm signing up for in 2019...


Here at In the Bookcase, you'll find the Louisa May Alcott challenge during June:

Louisa May Alcott Reading Challenge


I also host A Literary Christmas during November/December:

A Literary Christmas: Reading Challenge // inthebookcase.blogspot.com


Please join me for these 2 annual events in 2019! We always have a ton of fun, setting our own goals, connecting with other readers, and getting really good book recommendations. :)



Now, for all the other challenges I'm joining too...




The Goal: To finally read 12 books from your "to be read" pile (within 12 months).

Note to self: Monthly check-in on the 15th.
When finished, leave comment on original post.

My 2019 TBR Pile Challenge List:
1.  A Horse Called Hero by Sam Angus
2.  Almost Perfect by Diane Daniels Manning
3.  As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley
4.  Light in My Darkest Night by Catherine Marshall
5.  Anon, Sir, Anon by Rachel Heffington
6   Capital Gaines by Chip Gaines
7.  The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
8.  Mistress Pat by L.M. Montgomery
9.  Swept to Sea by Heather Manning
10.  Louisa and the Missing Heiress by Anna Maclean
11.  Doc Susie by Virginia Cornell
12.  The Wizard of Oz FAQ by David J. Hogan

Alternates:
1.   The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien
2.   The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne






The Goal: To read 12 classics that fit within 12 specific categories.

Note to self: Link up each review as I finish it.
When finished, write a wrap-up post.

19th Century Classic: The Inheritance by Louisa May Alcott
20th Century Classic: His Last Bow by Arthur Conan Doyle
Classic By A Woman: Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
Classic in Translation: The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne
Classic Tragic Novel: The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier
Classic Comic Novel: My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
Very Long Classic: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
Classic Novella: Village Diary by Miss Read
Classic From the Americas or Caribbean: The Horse and Buggy Doctor by Arthur E. Hertzler
Classic From Africa, Asia, or Oceania: Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Classic From A Place You've Lived: Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Classic Play: Macbeth by William Shakespeare






The Goal: Read book titles that start with all the letters of the alphabet, one book for each letter.

Note to self: Link up each review as finished. Monthly mini challenges, quarterly read-a-thons.

A.  As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley

B. Busted! by Jerry B. Jenkins, Tim LaHaye

C. City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab

D.  Doc Susie by Alan Bradley
.
F.  Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

G.  Glinda of Oz by Frank L. Baum

H.  His Last Bow by Arthur Conan Doyle

I.  Icebreaker by Lian Tanner

J.  Jamie MacLeod: Highland Lass by Michael Phillips & Judith Pella

K. The Khipu and the Final Key by Gertrude Chandler Warner

L.  The Landscapes of Anne of Green Gables by Catherine Reid

M.  My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

N. No Way Out by Dan Poblocki

O. Only Gossip Prospers by Lorraine Tosiello

P.  Paw Prints on My Soul by Jane Biehl
.
R.  Rise of the Wolf by Jennifer Nielsen

S.  The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

T.  The Tin Woodman of Oz by L. Frank Baum

U. The Underground by Jerry B. Jenkins, Tim LaHaye

V. Village Diary by Miss Read

W. West from Home by Laura Ingalls Wilder
.
Y.  You Can't Hide by Dan Poblocki
.





The Goal: Bronze – 10 NetGalley books

Note to self: Monthly link-up on the 1st.

April: 2 books
August: 3 books
October: 5 books
December: 7 books

TOTAL: 17




The Goal: Group together 5 reads that share something specific in common, as often as possible.

Note to self: New link-up every 2 months

March: 5 books from Goosebumps: Horrorland series
May: 5 books by R.L. Stine, any series
October: 5 books with Louisa May Alcott theme
December:  5 books that take place in Scotland, 5 books that take place in England, 5 books with "Christmas" in the title, 5 books related to the Wizard of Oz, 5 last books of a series, 5 books with modes of transportation on the cover







The Goal: Read older books that have been piling up in my TBR pile/list [I'll try for 100+ books!].

Note to self: Books must be published before 2018 & already be in my TBR pile/list.
Link up on review linky as I finish each book.


Feb: 10
Aug: 12
Oct: 27
Dec: 44

TOTAL: 92




The Goal: Library Addict - 48 books

Note to self: Link up on review linky as I finish each book.
Mid-Year Library Check-in, during June/July.

Jan: 4
Dec: 15





The Goal: Amateur Sleuth - 5-15 books

Note to self: Mystery/Suspense/Thriller/Crime genres, 100+ pages.
Quarterly link-ups (Jan-March, April-June, July-Sept and Oct-Dec).
Giveaway at halfway mark and at end.

Jan-Mar: 1
Jul-Sep: 6
Oct-Dec: 8

TOTAL: 15




The Goal:

1. Read at least 125 books, from all formats.
2. Review, review, review! -- Make sure to review every book I read this year.
3. In with the old! -- Read at least 25 books that are published before the year 2000.
4. Listen while I "work"! -- Listen to at least 35 audio books.
5. Increase my NetGalley feedback ratio -- Finish at least 10 NetGalley books.
6. Read more titles from indie authors this year -- at least 12.
7. Tackle something big! -- Read 2 books that have 500+ pages each. (Yes, I must try.)
8. Complete at least 8 year-long reading challenges (to doubly make sure I finish them off!).
9. Finish what I start! -- Finish off at least 4 different book series.
10. All formats of books combined, conquer reading 25,000 pages (according to Goodreads stats).

Note to self: Checkpoints on May 1st, September 1st, and in December.

TOTAL: 5/10




The Goal: Creative Conversationalist - 11-20 blog posts

Note to self: Monthly link-ups on the 1st.


14 comments:

  1. You have quite a list here! We're so excited you're joining our challenge this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I’m impressed with your reading challenges. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great challenges here! All the best with them and happy reading in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like some great challenges! I'm planning to participate in both TBR challenges and the Classics one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck in your challenges for the year, Barbara!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12/27/2018

    Good Luck with the list. The Pat series are my favorite series by Lucy Maud Montgomery.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marion,
      I'm glad to hear that you so thoroughly like the Pat books best... so many people basically just say Anne, Anne, Anne. :| Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing how Pat's story continues!

      Delete
  6. Excited to join you for the Louisa May Alcott challenge again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Kelsey! I'm glad you're excited too. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, you're participating in a lot of challenges! Welcome to The Backlist Reader Challenge 2019! I hope you make your 100+ goal, and look forward to seeing what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like we're doing several of the same challenges. Good luck! And I like your idea of using Note To Self for reminders. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, good luck to you too! I'm trying to keep myself more organized and on time this year -- hence my public notes to self. I'm bookmarking this blog post and will be updating it frequently, so that I can keep all my lists together... or at least... we'll see if I can! :)

      Delete
  9. You have some great challenges here. I really hope you love 'The Secret Garden' as it is one of my favorite books. I just finished '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' so now I will have to get 'Mysterious Island' to learn more about Captain Nemo. I hope you have a lot of success with your challenges. I will find something to contribute for this year's Alcott challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joel, YES! I'm in the middle of 'The Secret Garden' now... it's absolutely delightful.

      I'm eager to see what happens with Captain Nemo in 'Mysterious Island'. I have heard it's quite a bit like 'Swiss Family Robinson' -- which I greatly enjoyed.

      Delete