In the Bookcase

6/25/2021

Book Review: Louisa and the Country Bachelor

Louisa May Alcott Reading Challenge


Louisa and the Country Bachelor by Anna Maclean (5 star review)


Louisa and the Country Bachelor
Louisa May Alcott Mystery #2
by Anna Maclean

282 pages // published in 2005 // historical mystery




BOOK DESCRIPTION

Gentle Reader,

In 1855, even though I was still the unknown "Louy" Alcott, I had started to reap some of the rewards of my labors. Under a pen name, I had sold a couple of my "blood and thunder" romance stories and a collection of children's fables, but Little Women was just the germ of an idea. I wish I could have said that much for murder ...

After a bleak winter in Boston investigating the murder of a close friend, I was badly in need of wholesome air and sunshine. To that end, my family --- mother Abba, father Bronson, and my sisters, Lizzie, May, and Anna, and I --- visited our cousins in Walpole, New Hampshire. But as soon as we arrived in the peaceful hamlet, we were confronted with tragedy: the death of Ernst Nooteboom, who purportedly fell into a ravine while hiking.

While his sister pointed her finger at the grocery store owner who coveted Ernst's land, I found no lack of other suspects with sinister motives. Despairing of the death of such a young man, I resolved to bring Ernst's murderer to justice.

Louisa May Alcott




My Review


5 Star Rating


A wonderful imagining to think about... What if Louisa May Alcott (destined to become a famed American authoress) solved crimes in her youth?! Yes, she would have had the aptitude for it, I must say.

I loved how the character of Louisa and her family are portrayed in this book. I feel like their family values and beliefs are clearly shown to the world. Louisa was definitely a runner, and I like how Anna Maclean has incorporated that into the story too. Louisa even has a running outfit, so that she doesn't have to be encumbered by layers of skirts. I also enjoyed hearing Louisa's thoughts as she formed ideas for her next stories. This created a well-rounded atmosphere for the plot, and adequately shows her writerly tendencies.

There is a quite a cast of characters in this book, one that rivals a good Agatha Christie whodunit, from the rich neighbors next door, to the poor immigrants in town, and Mr. Tupper who owns the general store. The characters are all rather intriguing, but my favorites are definitely Louisa and her sisters and parents. And Llew, who is a perfect substitute for fans of Little Women's Laurie.

Personally, I enjoyed this book much better than the first book in the series. I'm so glad I pressed on to try the sequel! A lovely mystery.

Recommended for: Adults
Suitable for: Ages 13 & up


Add to Goodreads


BUY YOUR COPY!
paperback // e-book







P.S. Like and vote for this review on Goodreads.





0 written notes {Post a Comment}:

Post a Comment